Monday, January 9, 2012

Blood is Thicker Than Water

"Having a sister is like having a best friend you can't get rid of. You know whatever you do, they'll still be there." ~Amy Li. Your sister is there for you, sometimes to help you and sometimes to annoy you to the point of breaking something. The big sister is the best. She has so many talents, from being perfect, to being the best friend in the entire world.

Protection. What an older sister will do for her younger sister. The Hunger Games, there was a 1 in a thousand chance that Prim's name would be called but when it was called Katniss launched into full protection mode. Katniss won't let her sister be taken away to the Capitol to fight in the Games as entertainment. No, that would cause Prim to loose her life. Katniss protected Prim by volunteering to go fight to her death in the "amazing" Hunger Games. "I reach her just as she is about to mount the stage. With one sweep of my arm, I push her behind me. 'I volunteer!' I gasp. 'I volunteer as a tribute.'" Page 22 of The Hunger Games. With Katniss' younger sister means the world to herm and with her gone Katniss would not be the same, she wants her sister to grow up and live a happy life and she is willing to give up everything to give that chance to her precious baby sister. Once Katniss knows Prim is out of danger she can relax, she has done her job as a sister and protected the person who matters the most. The little sister.

Friendship. Sometimes when you don't need protection you need a friend. When Miriam's mom died and her father remarried, the last thing she wanted was a sister. Her new sister was perfect, pretty, lively, and natural. Miriam didn't like her new sister she was too perfect and nice. It didn't seem real. But one day when their mom and dad take the two girls on a road trip Ariele, Miriam's sister, shows Miriam what it's like to live life to it's fullest. And ever since that day the two girls have been best friends, even though they are sisters. They love and care for each other so much, no one could ever could ever tell that Miriam once hated the sister that loved her so much. (This story is from Chicken Soup for the Preteen Soul 2)

Love. When you have had a bad day your sister is there to comfort you, well at lest mine is. My older sister may be obnoxious, crazy, and just plain weird but it makes her beautiful. She loves me like no one else and when I need her she is there to hold me. Her hands are strong and her words are reassuring, her eyes full of happiness and all of her filled with love. That is what I love the most about my sister, my Maddy. When someone makes fun of me or I have done something wrong, she doesn't scold me, she doesn't yell, she loves. She tells me everything will be alright and that I am perfect the way I am, no one can change me. My sister inspires me to stand up for my self, to make things the way I want them not the way someone else does. I know nothing can break this love that we share. Maddy and Me.

Love, Protection, Friendship.. just some of the qualities an older sister has to make her so amazing. The older sister is a gift, one that will always be there, in the midst of everything. Through thick and thin, because blood is thicker that water. "A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life." ~Isadora James

Painting is from: Heidi Malott

1 comment:

  1. Your blog led me to think about how big a role a sister plays is in one’s life. You said- The older sister is a gift, one that will always be there, in the midst of everything. I agree with that. Whatever happens, your sister will be always there for you and stand up for you because she loves you. You can always turn to her and she’ll be there for you. Your blog helped me form a new idea of the relationship one can have with their sister. I especially agreed with you when you mentioned nothing can break the love that you share with your sister. Also, for the title of your blogpost and in your last paragraph, you wrote- blood is thicker than water, and I thought that was interesting. The bonds of family are stronger than any other bonds, and so I really liked that you included that saying. In addition, your paragraphs are easy to follow and understand. You stated your reasons and had clear evidence to support them. I particularly liked how you started your three body paragraphs with one word about the quality of a sister you are talking about, as well as how you began your first and last paragraph with a quote.

    Some things you could do to further improve your blog is maybe adding some links to other relevant webpages, like when you referred to the Hunger Games or Chicken Soup for the Preteen Soul 2 on your blogpost. Also, maybe you could add in your interpretation of what you think the quotes you put in the first and last paragraph mean. Overall, I think your blog was very thoughtful and had a lot of voice. The content of the post showed you did some research to get evidence and reflected that you spent time to think about it.

    ReplyDelete